Tuesday, April 9, 2019

'Ugly' Churches and New Friends

    There are three things in life that you apparently cannot escape:

          Death 
          Taxes
          John Denver 

    Y'all. This blessed man haunts me wherever I go. I literally flew across the Atlantic Ocean to escape his deceptively soothing serenade. His Mountain Mamma ballad has bedeviled my every footstep since coming to Europe. I am not exaggerating when I say that in EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY that I have visited thus far, I have heard "Country Roads" at LEAST once. When I tell people I am from West Virginia, they actually know where I am talking about because of that blessed song. When I go to a bar, guess which tune always makes the queue?

      And how do I feel about this unexpected situation..? Well... conflicted. At first, there was anger. Then annoyance. And now, resignation and acceptance (with perhaps a *tinge* of homesickness mixed in there). I just thought I'd update you on the situation in Europe. 



    Things here have been going wonderfully. I am getting fat n' happy on gelato and croissants. But I am not here today to write about my food-ventures. I wanted to share a little bit about Spring Break! A week ago, eight of us hopped over to Barcelona, Spain for break. With a full itinerary and an empty bank account, we spent the week exploring as much that beautiful city as we could. We had the opportunity to visit some pretty breathtaking sites, including Park Guell (a park for rich people designed by Antoni Gaudi that reminded me of a real life Dr. Seuss world), Monserrat (a beautiful monastery at the top of a big mountain), and the Pablo Picasso Museum. But I wanted to tell you about two experiences I had over break that really changed my outlook on may different aspects of my life and that I hope you will find as powerful and intriguing as I did.

(Park Guell Building) 



    La Sagrada Familia:

     Below are photos of La Sagrada Familia, an unfinished Roman Catholic Church designed by Catalan architect Antonin Gaudi. I say unfinished because this church has literally been under construction for over a century. And you can really see that on the facade of the church. The architectural styles on different parts of the building contrast so starkly against each other, vividly depicting each artistic age that they were constructed during. What struck me about this church, however, was that it was probably one of the ugliest and yet most beautiful churches I think I have seen here in Europe. The oldest part of the church--designed by Gaudi-- is, in my very humble opinion, a mess. It literally looks like someone took a blowtorch and melted the marble. I mean, come on Gaudi, what were you doing? (To all the Gaudi lovers out there, sorry not sorry)

(Yikes) 


    I was mentally preparing myself for what I assumed would be a similar mess on the inside of the church, which explains why I was so utterly shocked upon entering it. The inside of La Sagrada Familia was simply breathtaking. Its clean, crisp white marble pillars were splashed with impossibly vibrant colors created by sunlight seeping through stained glass windows on all sides of the church. It made me feel as though I had stepped into a massive kaleidoscope. The painter in me practically fainted every time I looked at a window. 


 







                                         

 


    New Friend:

    A few days after La Sagrada Familia, we decided to spend a peaceful day at the beach. It soon became quite evident that such a day might not be possible, as the beach was filled with vendors selling all kinds of wares: rugs, blankets, towels, drinks, snacks, and toys. It was like a portable Dollar General. 

    Later that day, I decided to get some sketching done while the rest of my friends grabbed lunch. I sat on my towel and worked on unfinished drawings in my sketchbook for a bit, soon noticing that someone was watching me draw. I looked behind my shoulder and noticed one of those vendors standing nearby, looking over my shoulder at my sketchbook. Now, its not unusual for people to come up and watch me draw (that is a whole other blog post, I can't wait to tell y'all about it), so I just kept working, hoping he wouldn't try to sell me anything. After five minutes or so, he spoke up, complementing my sketches and asking me how I had captured the shapes and shadows. He admitted that he was also an artist,  yet he struggled to accurately depict his subjects on paper. The conversation flowed on like a river from there. 

    We talked about SO many things y'all it was SO COOL.  This man had been working in Spain for the past three months as a street vendor. He used to own a leather market back home in Pakistan, but business became bad due to a rising demand for more synthetic materials, so he had moved to Italy to look for work instead. After spending six months in Italy, he bounced to Germany, and finally landed in Spain. When I asked him what he thought about Americans, he told me that they were some of his favorite tourists because of how friendly and open-minded they were. He told me that they generally treated him with the most respect when he was selling things. (Brownie points for America WOO). I asked him how he felt about being a vendor in a foreign land, if he found his job to be particularly challenging or not. He replied that yes, his job was very difficult, specifically because of how he was treated by people as an A.) street vender, and B.) Middle-Eastern, Muslim man. Sometimes, people would treat him politely.  If he approached, they would simply say no thank you. But other times, people would treat him with unbelievable rudeness, even going so far as to yell at and chase him. Yet, despite such treatment, he calmly declared that he loved the life he was living, and he loved the job he had. 

    Then the conversation turned to more existential matters. We talked about the pursuit of money and how quickly it could steal joy from your life. We talked about the different interactions we have both had with racism in our respective cultures and backgrounds. I told him more about West Virginia and he told me about Pakistan. My favorite topic was on friendship. "You see," he stated, "friends are like stones and diamonds. Some friends in your life are stones- ugly, heavy, and inconvenient. When you carry them around, they simply make life heavier. Other friends, however, are like diamonds. They are beautiful, precious, enriching, and very very rare. You treasure those diamonds when you find them and keep them close to your heart." (How many stones and diamonds do you all have in your life?)

   I mean... y'all... IT WAS SO COOL. I'm geeking out just thinking about this: a girl from Philippi, West Virginia having a deep conversation with a dude from Pakistan on the sandy beaches of Barcelona, Spain. It doesn't get more intercultural than that. 

    The two experiences I described taught me some pretty basic, and necessary, life lessons. The most prominent of them was this: 

If you take things at face value and immediately accept the bias that you have without questioning it, you will lose out on SO MANY opportunities. Stepping back, acknowledging your bias, but choosing to instead examine more deeply the situation at hand can open countless new doors. 



  Barcelona was absolutely breathtaking, and I have so many more stories that I wish I could tell you, but that's too much writing and I'm lazy. So for now, I'm logging off. I miss you all. Every day is tinged with a bit of homesickness, but life is good regardless!

Arrivederci a tutti!
Leah


18 comments:

  1. Leah,

    That sounds like an incredible spring break! I would have loved to see the church you are shown, as those pictures look amazing. I think that it is quite interesting how you held a conversation with a man from Pakistan. Did he have an accent or trouble speaking the language? We hear people from different cultures speaking English all the time but it would be interesting to listen to someone from a different culture speaking a different language (and also probably very difficult to understand).

    Hope you are doing well,

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leah,

    An art-major American girl from West Virginia had a deep conversation with a Pakistani vendor/artist on the sandy beaches of Barcelona, Spain. I believe such an unique experience definitly worth being written down. I am impressed that you were not being impatient of vendors selling wares on a crowded beach, instead, you were open-minded enough to develop an intercultural conversation. Also, You have great sense of awareness as you suggested people to acknowledge their biases but try to understand more deeply the situation at hand. It's really similar to the description of a resonant/inclusive global leader in Dr.Perruci’s book, though you were not doing so on purpose. It’s a great pleasure to read you blog, wish your bank account gets refilled soon!

    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah!

    That quote about having friends that are like stones and diamonds is so interesting! I would have never have thought about relationships in that way until reading this post. Interacting with people and discovering connections in foreign places may make you a better global leader than the global leadership course itself. That being said we have focused in on cultural diversity in the last week of class here and I wanted to know if you believe that through the experiences that you have had so far do you see a lot of cultural diversity everywhere you go or are some places so secluded or for another reason they seem to lack the same levels of diversity as the beaches in Spain? Hope you have many more fun adventures soon!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Leah,

    It looks like you are having a blast! I am particularly intrigued by the conversation that you had with your new friend, the Pakistanian man. First of all- thank you for the great detail you provided, I almost felt as if I watched the interaction take place, myself! It also led me to wonder, as we have been discussing in class this week, what moments do you feel have most significantly leveraged your levels of diversity and inclusion? It seems that you were (rightfully) very moved by meeting this man and hearing his story, and you even made the comment "It doesn't get more intercultural than that". Would you say that the most culturally-moving of your experiences have been interactions you've had with people from other cultures? If not, what is?

    Also, super jealous of that gorgeous church!

    Katie Conkle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leah!

    Your pictures are gorgeous as always. In our Global Leadership class, we have used McManus and Perruci's text Understanding Leadership to examine different cultural backgrounds to help us understand leadership in different places. Two of these that we studied were the Western Cultural Context and The Islamic Cultural Context. The biggest difference between the two is that in the Western Cultural context, interactions are more transactional, while in the Islamic context, leader-follower interactions are more transformational. It sounds to me like your short interaction with the Pakistani man was transformational to you! Did you notice a difference in lifestyle/ leadership styles between what his history living in Pakistan and the Western context that you’ve experienced in the United States? Do you think his different cultural context influenced his comments and advice he gave to you?

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Leah!

    The conversation you had with the Islamic vendor on the beach in Spain is so interesting! He definitely gave some great advice about friendship, and his comment was certainly a unique way of approaching and thinking about friendship.

    When examining the Islamic cultural context we read about in McManus and Perruci's book I drew some connections between what the vendor said and the information in the book about Islamic culture. In Islamic culture leadership is viewed as a trust between leaders and followers where leaders are viewed as the caretaker, and the leader seeks transformational change, unlike in Western culture where interactions are more transactional. The idea of leadership being a trust in Islamic culture aligns with what the vendor said about friendship, because ultimately the core of all friendship is trust. This also goes along with the continuum found in McManus and Perruci's text about Islamic culture where on the "we" side it states that "all Muslims are brothers" (142).

    It is interesting to think about your cultural context and also the vendors and surmise how they may shape the very conversation you guys had. Do you think because trust is such an important component of Islamic culture it allowed him to give you the advice he gave you about friendship and provide a different outlook on friendship itself? Do you now see him as a friend even though you only had a short interaction with him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^^ Sorry, forgot to let you know that was me! lol

      Wishing you happy and safe travels.

      Theresa

      Delete
  8. Leah,

    In Dr. Perruci's book, he talks about the idea of "cultivating a global mindset" (127). He goes on to define it as a "transnational reference point, meaning that the global leaders take into consideration the interests of their organizations within the framework of a global context" (129). Given this definition and the experiences you just had making a friend from Pakistan, do you feel that your study abroad trip is building your global mindset and giving you the tools to be able to use it as a "transnational reference point" in your future career?

    Also, despite the fact that you want to get away from "Country Roads", do you feel like the song has given you an easy way to connect to people?

    Hope you continue to have a great time!

    Justin Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leah,
    It is interesting that you mentioned you "can't escape" John Denver no matter the location abroad you travel. This reminds me of one of the big points of interest in our class: globalization. More specifically, the fluid exchange of cultural norms and values from country to country, especially music! It's funny and interesting that "Take Me Home, Country Roads" will always remind you of where you came from! Do you see any other connections of our cultural norms or similarities in between these different countries as you are traveling? Let me know! Hope you are living life to the fullest, we miss you!

    Audrey Albright

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leah,

    I was very interested to hear that "Country Roads" is so well known across the globe. It reminded of the entire concept of Lead 203, which is globalization. Especially, since the song is relatively old for today, but that is not saying much because people from younger generations continue to sing it everyday. It is fascinating that one song about West Virginia can be sung as far away from WV as Italy! I hope that this didn't make you too homesick. I hope you continue having a wonderful time!

    Breck Baker

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Leah,

    In one of the chapters we read for Global Leadership they describe the four stages of acculturation, or getting used to living in a new culture. Those four stages are: "honeymoon" (first 2 months), "culture shock" (months 3-9), "adjustment" (months 10-24), and "mastery" (months 24+). According to this, your honeymoon phase should be over and you should be solidly in the culture shock phase. Do you feel that this is true to your experience? If so, do you think these phases are as clearly defined as described?
    I also hope that you continue to monitor this when you return to the US.

    Keep enjoying your time in Europe!

    --Tom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leah,

    I'm so happy for you to be having these wonderful experiences with so many different people! It sounds like the experiences of your trip have provided you with new insights on life. Applying this to some of the content that we cover in LEAD 203, one of the competencies of a global leader is their communication pattern. It seems to me that many of the previous interactions that your friend had involved people who used a communication pattern that resisted difference. Based on what you have written, it also seems like you have a communication pattern that involves transforming difference. Transforming difference is communication where both parties acknowledge and respect their differences to bring about 'learning, reflection, and respect'.

    Congrats on already cultivating some of the skills that we cover in 203!

    Best,

    Eric K.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Leah,

    These are two amazing stories that sound like they both have changed your outlook on life which is very exciting and probably the biggest treasure that comes with traveling. In class we talked about the Lewis Model in which Italy and Pakistan would be placed in very similar places, the multi active side of the triangle. The multi active countries are known to be very talkative people that attach great importance to feelings. However based on your interaction with the Pakistani it seems as though that may not be the case, as he said many customers in Italy were rude. I am curious to know if you think by your interaction with him that you think maybe Italy should not be in that position on the Lewis Model, and based on your own interactions with people from Italy if you would say that they are in fact multi active?

    Thanks,

    Jerod Crawford

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Leah,

    First off, I RELATE WAY TOO MUCH TO THE CURSE OF COUNTRY ROADS AND JOHN DENVER. It follows you everywhere lol, like a faithful dog. When ever I traveled abroad, I found this to actually be very sweet and meaningful, a lot of people when hearing I am from West Virginia would tell me they knew of the song and approach forming a bond over that and it worked out every time as it always led into deeper conversations about our own experiences growing up and traveling outside of your home. I am going to relate this again to intercultural communication, as I know you are a communication major. What you experienced with the man from Pakistan, to me, reminds me of Arasaratnam's idea about those who come into a conversation being more empathetic and willing to understand another's point of view do better at intercultural communication. He approached you only asking about art and could relate to you because he has the ability to perceive the mindset of an artist and it quickly turned into a meaningful conversation about life. Do you think Arasaratnam's idea played a role in how far the conversation progressed and went? And if so, do you think this idea of approaching with an empathetic mindset to those of another cultural could be of more use in modern society?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Leah!

    These photos were incredibly beautiful, thank you for including them in this post! I also want to say I loved the story about the street vendor from Pakistan, it seemed like such a wholesome and eye-opening interaction!
    In relation to the beginning of your post, I wanted to propose a question:
    You mentioned that "Country Roads" by John Denver was still quite popular in every place you have traveled to while abroad, which I find so cool! I am from West Virginia as well, so hearing this song a couple times everywhere I go would be so heartwarming and a little crazy to me as well. However, I was curious to know what celebrities/iconic people are prominent in Florence or any other places you have visited? Along with that, I wanted you to consider what type of leader those celebrities would be categorized as?

    I am interested to know what kind of celebrities people in Florence go crazy for like people here do for celebrities like the Kardashians or Justin Bieber :)

    I hope you enjoy the rest of your time abroad! I look forward to any further posts/stories from your experiences.

    - Kylee McBride

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leah,
    In Chapter 9 of Perruci's Leadership: A Transnational Perspective, he talks about developing intercultural communication competence How have you evolved as an intercultural communicator during your time in Italy? Some examples are ignoring difference, embracing difference, embracing difference, resisting difference, fighting difference, and transforming difference? Where did you start and where do you think you are now?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Leah!

    I've loved all your posts and specifically loved seeing the churches! This really got me thinking about the role religion plays in leadership and specifically how leadership is viewed. How have you seen the role of religion affect leadership abroad? Have you seen any at all? And if so how does it differ from here in the United States?

    I hope you've had an incredible experience!
    Beth Lebar

    ReplyDelete