Tuesday, March 19, 2019

On Italian Culture


   Let's discuss the art of puzzling (puzzle construction) for a moment. There are many different kinds of puzzles, coming in all varieties of shapes, sizes, and challenges. Some are intended for newly born toddlers and others make you miss the days when you were one yourself. Puzzling, I've discovered, also makes an excellent metaphor for visiting a new culture. 

    Say you decided to challenge yourself by putting together a million-piece puzzle. If you only give yourself three days, or even a week to try to figure out this puzzle, you may begin to experience the same anxiety that Democratic and Republican politicians feel when forced to make adult-y decisions together. It's an impossible task. And what little you manage to piece together in that short time, while pleasant to look at, doesn't show you the whole picture. If you give yourself, however, a month, a year, or even longer to put together those millions of pieces, your final product becomes much more complete and much less overwhelming. It may take you quite a long time to find each piece's partner. There may be days when you don't think you'll ever understand what picture those million pieces are going to make. There may be days when those elusive pieces finally fill in the gaps you gave up trying to complete.  But, if you allow yourself the time and the patience to figure it all out, something beautiful is produced. Living in a new culture is quite the same experience. 

   I have only lived in Italy for around two months, but I'd like to think that my short time here has allowed me to complete the top right corner of the Italian-culture puzzle (that's my favorite corner of a puzzle). And I am loving the picture that is beginning to appear.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on Italian culture, nor are my observations applicable to every single region or person of Italy. These are just things that I have noticed through my young, white, female, American lens, about this culture that I absolutely love and wanted to share with y'all. 

    Italians are an extremely passionate, proud people, on many number of topics, the most important  of which includes their home region and their food. Most Italians will tell you that a "Make Italy Great Again" mantra isn't going to be very popular throughout the country. Instead, you might find a "Make Firenze/ Roma/ Sicily Great Again" phrase instead. There is a strong pride in one's region and a strong distrust, dislike, or even disdain for Italians from other regions of the nation. I find this  fascinating, especially considering that I come from a country that pushes national pride into its children from the first day of pre-school. One thing that unites most of Italy together, however, is their love, and consumption, of food and drink. A regular Florentine day allows time for at least 4-5 meals of various sizes, and a traditional Italian dinner consists of five courses. I am taking a cooking class here (shockingly enough, nothing important has been burned, chopped, or poisoned yet!) and have learned to give the same respect to the art of Italian cuisine that I would to painting or drawing. Each meal, when prepared properly and with passion, is truly a work of art. When paired with the perfect beverage, it will make the tastebuds soar with the angels. 

     I have found Italian, or at least Florentine-Italians, to be quite friendly and welcoming, especially when I try to speak (and usually butcher) their language. They have often stopped their day to patiently help my stumbling tongue figure out a word or phrase. As a woman, I can't smile at people I pass in the street/accidentally make eye contact with, as I would at home, because that generally gets me into trouble. And as with most cities, people here can brush and push past you if you get in their way. But, when personally interacting with people in Italy, I am usually met with an Italian version of Southern Hospitality. There has been more than one instance when my friends and I have received free desserts/ wines/ and other treats from restaurants because the staff took a liking to us (definitely going to miss those free treats when I come home). One downside to such friendliness, according to a few of my Italian friends, is that Italians are generally much less confrontational than is good for them, often looking for a way to skirt around a problem until it gets too bad to ignore.

    My absolute favorite aspect of Italian culture, something that I hope desperately to bring home with me, is the slow, meandering pace of life here. Not very many things are rushed in Italy, (except perhaps their language, which could put any rapper to shame). Dinner is usually a three hour affair at least and one can spend hours upon hours doing nothing but sipping coffee and reading a good novel without feeling an ounce of guilt. As with any wine or cheese, the longer you rest, the better you turn out. 
    As much as I love American culture, there are certain aspects--its push for constant speed, its rewarding of complete burnout, and its guilt-tripping of those at rest-- that I will always despise. My mental health hasn't felt this good in a long while, being less frazzled, worried, and stressed, since living here. A day spent wandering museums, sipping wine, and chatting with a friend is a day well spent. Now granted... a leisurely life-pace can often produce less than desirable results in productivity. Not much gets done around here, as my Florentine friends have often complained. "That is why", they explained, "Italy is so well preserved. It's because no one ever got up enough desire or energy to change anything!"  Yet I still LOVE the idea of existing completely guilt free in rest. Usually back home, the only times I ever truly rest is when my body stops functioning and sickness takes the reigns. How unbelievably toxic to assume that one can only attain happiness and fulfillment if one is working and busy all of the time. (Again, I am speaking from my own perspective and experiences from home, I know that not all of American culture applies). I love it here. Heaven help me when I come back to college with that slow, relaxed Italian mindset. Yikes. 

    Spring break is fast approaching and I will be spending all of next week in Barcelona! You best believe I fully plan to roast on whatever Spanish beach is closest to us. I hope you all are doing well!
Arrivederci, 
      Leah 

P.S. The photos you are about to see have not been altered or photoshopped in any way at all. I'll be honest, when I saw this sunset I kiiinnddaaa had a little bit of tears in my eyes. The sky from San Miniato Church never fails to disappoint. What an honor to see this masterpiece in real-time.











16 comments:

  1. Leah, your stories and the way you portray Italy and all the places you have been makes me want to visit even more. I really enjoyed reading your take on Italian culture. As we have moved through Perruci’s book in class, we have been talking about the differences between cultures and it is interesting to then read your perspective on this. If only we could have a 3-hour dinner and not worry about the mound of homework constantly building up!!! I also thought that your point about Italians having a “strong distrust” for Italians from different regions to be very interesting and this is defiantly not something I would have expected. I wonder why this is? Has it been an adjustment to go from the fast pace life of the U.S to there?

    Addie Posti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah! I hope you are continuing to have a great time! Your pictures are gorgeous and the way you write about Italy is amazing, along with the other places you have visited. I noticed in your post that you mentioned Italian's as being passionate, welcoming, and friendly people. A little while ago in our leadership class we were talking about a really interesting model called the LMR model. It was formed by Richard Lewis and categorizes countries based on three divisions, linear-active, multi-active, and reactive. This model places Italy towards the multi-active corner of the triangle. Multi-active is defined as being "people-oriented, doing several things at once, and displaying feelings". Based off of your description of the people, do you think that Italy belongs in this category? If so, could you possibly share other ways that Italy displays a multi-active behavior, or ways that it does not.

    Dani Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao! In class we discussed how leadership is viewed through a western lens. In Understanding Leadership: An Arts and Humanities Perspective, Dr. McManus and Dr. Perruci note that westerners view leadership as a prize (109). The authors also mentioned that the western style has a transactional relationship between leaders and followers. Therefore, I was wondering if you have noticed your professors or other authority figures practice leadership in a similar manner?

    We miss you tons!

    Emily Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah,
    I love hearing your stories about learning to cook and seeing beautiful sunsets! Hopefully you did not burn too bad on the beach over spring break. In class, we have been learning about the leadership continuum for various cultures and the western culture is one that we studied heavily. I was wondering what your perspective is on the culture that you have been submerged in for this semester. The "I" side of the spectrum contains leader-centric qualities, individualism, pragmatism, as well as freedom of expression. On the other hand, the "We" side consists of social contract, rules of law, strong democratic institutions, and an ethical community. Personally, through reading all of these blogs, it seems as if they are shifted towards the collectivist side. There seems to be somewhat of a social contract to help foreigners, or maybe just people who need help in general. Also, it seems as if the nationalism is very strong which I could see fitting into the ethical community. Let me know your thoughts on this, what is your perspective as to where the western culture falls onto the leadership continuum?

    April Davis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leah!

    Italy looks beautiful. I love following your adventures on Instagram. I've never been to Italy, but I have been to Peru. As Dani mentioned, we've studied the LMR model, in which Italy is listed as "multi-active" while the US is "linear active". The culture of multi-active countries focuses much more on the big picture and grand goals, rather than nitpicking over every detail and being focused on the bottom line, like in linear active countries like the US. Peru, like Italy, is also listed as "multi-active" and I've noticed a lot of similarities between Peruvian and Italian culture, based on what you've described. I remember that same laid back atmosphere, where deadlines are more suggestions than ultimatums and nobody seems to be in a huge rush to do anything. I relate to you reluctance to return to the linear active, results driven culture of the US. Peru remains one of my favorite places that I've visited, and I think it's because of the difference in culture. The atmosphere there was so different and so much more freeing. It sounds like you're experiencing similar things in Italy. Enjoy it! I know that I loved the culture in Peru so much that I wouldn't mind living there one day. I hope you love the culture of a multi-active country as much as I did!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leah!

    Italy has always been the top place to visit on my bucket list, so I am beyond jelly of you right now!! It seems you are enjoying studying abroad there so much and learning about Italian culture and Italian people. What intrigued me most about your blog posts so far is when you mentioned the dislike Italian people of a specific region may have for others in a different region. In class we have studied many cultures in depth and your comment about Italian people from different regions makes me think about African culture in the sense that there is a strong unified identify with specific tribes people belong to. Another comparison between African culture I found from the class readings and your blog posts was that regardless of region, all Italians seem to have a unifying love and passion for food and drink. In African culture, regardless of tribe, all tribes and individuals seek to uphold the 5 foundations of leadership within African culture being Family, Ageism, Kinship, Religion, and Tribalism. Your post about Italians being united through food and drink reminds me of how the many tribes within the continent of African are united through a deep revere of the 5 foundations of leadership, specifically family, and tribalism. It is interesting to see comparisons between these two different cultures that one may not think are there.

    On that note, it is clear to me Italian people certainly value their elaborate meals, that are works of art as you put it, and that it is in fact a huge part of their culture. This kind of goes along with the slow and relaxed way of living Italians trade mark their culture with. Perruci mentions in his book about how Latin American culture also lives in that same type of manner, with a traditional afternoon nap after lunch being common in their culture. Because of globalization and the introduction of a McDonalds in Perruci's home town, he feared that slow, relaxed mindset, and afternoon nap might fade into the distance as a result of a the introduction of a more fast paced way of living Westerners are accustomed to. So, my question for you is do you see the effects of globalization on Italian culture similar to how Perruci describes in his home town?

    I hope all is well!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Leah,
    I have been following your story on Snapchat and Instagram and I'd have to say that you are one lucky chick! Italy looks amazing and the food, omg the food looks to die for! I really enjoy hearing your thoughts on the slower pace of life in Italy. That does seem quite the opposite from the American mindset. We have been talking about different cultures in Lead class and how they can be "linear-active," "multi-active," or "reactive." When looking at this model, Italy lays on the multi-active side which means that they have colorful personalities and they crave a close relationship with one another. This seems to match what you were saying about they being super friendly. I can't wait to keep following your story and see more picture!!

    Hope all is well,

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Leah!

    I am so glad that you are having such as amazing time in Italy. As Sarah mentioned, I love following you on Instagram and seeing all the amazing pictures you post that really enhance the memories you are making.

    As we are comparing and contrasting various culture dimensions in class this Semester, I am very curious in how the Italian culture fits into this Western perspective. As we all know, America is extremely fast paced, and the citizens are constantly finding something to do next. I find it interesting that Italians seem to work on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. I am glad that you are able to take a breath and enjoy the moment in this aspect. My brother had the opportunity to study in Germany, and similarly, he mentioned that Germans worked very leisurely. He noted that at times this could be frustrating. For example, if he needed to go to the post office for some reason, the postal workers would not always be there during what we would consider "normal" hours. I just find it interesting how in the European continent, there seems to be a trend of living in the moment more so than completing tasks quickly.

    In addition, Americans tend to be quite nationalistic. I find it interesting that you would say Italians present more pride in their region rather than in their country as a whole. Americans, in my opinion, are very focused on the nation as a whole and promoting the entire country rather than just their state.

    With these two Western characteristics analyzed, I have a question for you. Americans also tend to be labeled as very glued to technology such as phones and computers. Do you find this to be evident in Italy as well? I hope you continue to have a wonderful time and continue to garner such a growing global perspective!

    Katie McIlroy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Leah,

    I have enjoyed reading about your time in Italy, and hope that you continue to have a wonderful time! In class, we have discussed the Lewis Model pertaining to difference countries and which characteristics pertain to them. I have read that you find their culture to be not as rushed. You mentioned that they act in a meandering pace. I found this interesting because the Lewis Model described that Italian culture as multi-active. Some characteristics of multi-active cultures are that the they are less interested in schedules or deadlines as well as being flexible and time and may change their plans often. From your entries, I gathered that this seems to be accurate, but I was wondering if you could allude to this more or provide some specific examples?

    I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your time in Italy!

    Breck Baker

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi my darling Leah,

    In class we just learned about intercultural communication. From your blog post about interacting with the locals and receiving free desserts from your kindness, I was wondering if you ever had an interaction with a local that did not go well because of the cultural differences? Did you happen to misuse cultural filter such as interpreting a word differently or assuming that someone was a local when they were actually studying abroad as well? What do you think contributed to this challenge and what did you learn from this situation?

    I can't wait to read more of your posts!
    -Jordan Pallay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Leah,
    Hope everything is well over there. Recently in class we attempted to map leadership in different cultures in order to create a global mindset, or basically how do leaders take into consideration the interests and needs of their followers when leading in a global context. Specifically, we addressed different culture's attitudes towards culture. Because Italy is a multi-active country, we learned that they would have limited respect for authority unless it is in their social or company hierarchy. In this post, you discuss taking a cooking class - Have you found the teaching style to be very hierarchal? What about your classes at school? Additionally, in this article you discuss a lot about culture - In your interactions, have you found a negative feeling around authority?
    Hope all is well
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Leah!

    As I was going back through your blog posts and photos, I became more and more jealous. I can’t wait to hear about your trip when you return.

    As for the class portion of my comment, I wanted to touch on the slower lifestyle in Italy that you discuss. When you wrote about leisurely spending time in a café or three-hour long dinners, it made think back to the beginning of our Global Leadership course when we reviewed Hofstede’s 6 Cultural Dimensions. After reading your comparison between the United States and Italy, I was curious and used the country comparison tool online to see if one of the categories would reflect why you were experiencing such a difference. Interestingly enough, the United States and Italy have similar scores in a few categories, but an extreme difference in the last category: indulgence. The United States scores a 68 while Italy scores a mere 30; I was completely wrong in my assumption that because you have seen an emphasis on leisure time and personal enjoyment, Italy would be higher on indulgence than the United States. Italy is actually much more on the restraint side of the spectrum which means cultural norms are huge in regulating actions and thoughts. I guess this makes sense though because the United States is so individualistic. With this in mind, I would be interested in hearing if you, having experienced both cultures, think these scores are representative of your experiences.

    Enjoy your time left,
    Katie Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Leah!
    As others have mentioned, we have spent time in class discussing the Western context of leadership. Even though Italy seems so much different from the United States they both fall under the same context of leadership. From what I have gathered from your experiences is that the two countries have many extreme differences, so do you believe they belong in the same context? Or do you think the United States and Italy should have their own separate leadership contexts?

    Miss you!
    Grace Gebhart

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lovely!!
    I think its awesome that you are enjoying yourself overseas! Like you mentioned while you go out exploring you said that people seem to be not as confrontational but do you you notice a change in how people react to each other when they see someone they know? Do people interact more or stick to themselves when they encounter a friend? Also as you mentioned I think it will be a very nice addition to your life style to implement the relaxed pace of life! In bring that mindset back to the US do you foresee any obstacles trying to maintain that mindset in a fast paced western environment?
    Best wishes,
    Torri Clarchick

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Leah!

    These photos were stunning! I am so jealous you got to see this in person - I am a sucker for beautiful sunsets and sunrises.

    I liked your post comparing the culture in Italy to the current culture in the U.S. It was very interesting and truthfully sounds like a great way to live, even for a few months - it would definitely take me some time to get used to though, considering everything is much more slow-paced there.

    Since western culture has a more directive style of leadership, which is explained in Game Perruci's textbook, "Global Leadership: A Transnational Perspective," I was wondering what style of leadership you would say guides Italy's culture (at least in Florence)? Also, leadership is viewed as a prize in western culture, and the leader-follower relationship is transactional. So, based on the leadership continuum for the various cultural contexts discussed in Perruci's text, what would you personally consider the Italian worldview of leadership to be in terms of how leadership is viewed specifically, as well as the type of leader-follower relationship that Italians seem to have?

    Hopefully these questions give you something to think about during the rest of your time abroad! I can't wait to see more photos and read your future posts about your experience in Italian culture.

    - Kylee McBride

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Leah!

    I love seeing all the moments you have captured to share with us! The pictures are so amazing I cannot grasp how beautiful it would be in person! Regarding your experience of the laid-back culture Italy has, I was wondering how college is in this setting. Do the professors stick to the deadlines they set up or are they more flexible with them?

    You also gave insight into how others see the repercussion of this way of life; that nothing seems to get done. Do people seem to be as opinionated as back home or do they have a more relaxed view of conflict? Also, does this have any affect on politics?

    I hope all is well Leah!
    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete