Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Busy Weekends --> Empty Bank

   
     It's definitely been a jam packed few weeks. I accidentally set off the fire alarm in our apartment for the third time (amazing culinary skills right here), visited Switzerland, Slovenia, and Venice, emptied out my bank account, and, most importantly, fell in love.  Honestly, I never really considered love to been in the cards for a good long while, but, after my weekend in Ljubljana, Slovenia, I think it has found it's way back into my heart. Allow me to introduce Bruce. He loves cuddling, gives amazing hugs, and always makes you feel valued always. He's just a big softy. Also.
                               IS HE NOT THE CUTEST DOGGO IN THAT SWEATER???




    There has been a noticeable lack in my life of interactions with dogs lately, so, having a whole weekend to cuddle with one was very much needed for my mental health. People take their dogs everywhere here in Europe. Literally everywhere: in grocery stores, restaurants, clothing stores, banks, museums. In the same way that Europeans and Americans act differently, so do their pets. These pups are SO well behaved it's ridiculous. People let them wander without a leash all the time in the streets and in shops. But I have yet been able to build up the courage to try to pet a European doggo. Apparently Italians think Americans are a tad weird for wanting to pet every doggo they see. It makes us seem like we are obsessed with them, which.... I mean... is not exactly inaccurate...

    Switzerland and Slovenia can now be crossed off my list of places to visit (although they definitely require a second trip if I ever have money again). Both were beautiful in their own way, surrounded on all sides by those massive, majestic Alps. My roommates and I put on our adult-y pants and planned our own weekend trip to Interlaken, Switzerland, specifically for the purpose of paragliding. I emptied my bank account faster than a box of Boston Creme donuts because of that trip; however, to be able to soar over the Alps mountains was an experience I know I'll never forget. There is an age limit of around 60 years for all paragliders. Hopefully I'll be able to glide many more times before then. If you ever get the chance, go paragliding. Seriously... Do it. I also highly recommend a nice relaxing sit alongside the shore of Lake Brienz, which provides a stunning backdrop for you to consider all of the existential questions in your life by.

    Visiting Slovenia, I travelled by myself for the first time since being here which was so nerve-wracking. In Italy, once you leave the touristy areas, most people only speak Italian. I guessed and Google Translated my way through the entire trip, even making a wonderful friend along the way! Her name was Mara and she is now one of my first official Italian friends. We sat next to each other on our first bus from Florence and ended up chilling in a cafe together while waiting for our connecting busses. Despite the fact that she didn't know much English and my Italian was pathetic, we became quick friends (Shoutout to Google-Translate for being the bomb.com). Arriving in Ljubljana, it turned out that I had visited during their "Slovenian Marti Gras", which is basically a cooler version of Halloween. Every year, people from all over gather to celebrate this festival, specifically with the intention of 'scaring away the winter' with their costumes. (Honestly, the weather back home makes me desperate enough to consider bringing this tradition back to the states). Everyone poured into the city square dressed as all manner of creatures: fairies, superman, ninjas, Shrek and Cousin-It looking things (see below for photo evidence). I had a blast watching the festivities with Bruce's WONDERFUL family and stuffing my face with a traditional Slovene donut filled with chocolate fudge and topped with melted chocolate icing for good measure. (Shockingly enough, all my jeans still fit! They're only slightly snug..)

    Now Venice... Venice was beautiful. And apparently still sinking. Officials are working around the clock, our tour guide told us, to try to keep the entire city from becoming Atlantis 2.0, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. It is completely true when they say that getting lost amongst the streets of Venice is the easiest thing a tourist could do there. We wandered for quite a bit through the twists and turns, squeezing in between impossibly thin alleyways and under walkways so short they made me feel like Mrs. Sasquatch. We explored souvenir markets to find the perfect Carnival Masks and also tried pizza as large as our face (it was delicious, in case you were wondering). My favorite part of the day, however, was the gondola ride (and dinner.. that was amazing too). While our gondolier did not serenade us (much to my disappointment), he take us through some of the twisting, watery alleyways of Venice. We were able to get a different perspective of the city that I found quite charming.

    Murano and Burano were both just as alluring as the main island of Venice, if not more so. Burano, a teensy island filled with brightly colored houses of every hue, shade, and value, was a photographer's/artist's/ instagram-model's paradise. Legend has it that fisher-wives used to paint their homes those vibrant colors to make it easier for their husbands who were returning from sea to find their way home. Little did those fisher-wives know that in 2019, tourists from all over the world would be waltzing through every street and alley, hunting for the perfect house to take the most instagram-worthy photo in front of. (I am unashamed to admit that I found a quaint, bright yellow house for my photo-- see below). Hopefully someday I'll be able to return to Burano with some paints and canvas in hand to capture the colors for myself.

   
    While traveling every weekend is a blast, my exhausted body is now looking forward to this upcoming weekend of rest and relaxation in Florence. I'm hoping to go watch Captain Marvel on Saturday (LITERALLY SO EXCITED) and possibly check out more museums and churches. There is an endless supply of them here. That is how I spend most of my days now (when I am not in school, of course), wandering around Florence with my sketchbook, spending a few hours in one church, a few more hours in another. Maybe walking 20,000+ steps a day is the reason why my pants still fit (mostly) after a month and a half of chocolate croissants and pizza. In my upcoming posts, I want to tell whoever is still reading this blog (Hiii Mom and Dad) about the normal Italian day, Italian culture, my classes, and a few interesting phenomena. So... stay tuned

    As much fun Florence is, I do miss home. I hope all ya'll are doing well and surviving the cold!

      Ciao, Ciao,

            Leah


                                                                          Switzerland:





















Slovenia:














Venice:

























11 comments:

  1. Hi Leah,
    We have recently learned about intercultural communication which is "create[ing] shared meaning between similar individuals in an interactive situation." Some of the barriers to intercultural communication are identity, cultural filter, and verbal and nonverbal communication. I am specifically curious to see how the cultural filter affects your communication. Are there times when you have problems talking with someone from a different culture because your interpretation of what they said was different from what they meant and vice versus? Also, is Italian like Spanish where they have genders assigned to specific words and if so, how do you notice that affects people's perceptions of those things referred to?
    PS
    I love your pictures!
    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah,

    To start our spring semester, we spent a lot of time comparing other cultures to the Western culture that we are used to. We discussed the many differences in leadership, the ways we make decisions, responsibilities of the leader and followers, and the moral dimensions of different cultures. While we also discussed more everyday things such as food, music, dance, and language. However, one difference that I had not considered is the way that we view pets. It is hard to imagine living in a culture where it would not be normal for me to sprint to pet every dog that I see! Are there any similar observations that you have made about the way Europeans treat pets? I am currently questioning whether or not I am crazy for treating my dog as an equal.

    I hope all is well.

    Katie Conkle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leah,
    These pictures are incredible. Your posts about the Alps and Venice is quite interesting from a geological standpoint. I am a mountains nut and those pictures and your Snapchat stories of your trip to them were absolutely incredible. I was wondering what is the weather like there? It seems that in most the pictures I have saw of you you are dressed somewhat warm. Is it humid or dry? Also why is the city sinking? Is it because of subsidence or increase in water? I'm curious.

    Hope all is well,

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah,

    It's so fasinating to hike among Alps! Besides, you are studying abroad in Italy, I bet you felt a little bit lost when everyone else speaks a foreign language, haha. Italy that falls under the multi-active corner of the Lewis Model, and being identified by talktive and eloquent. From my personal experience, however your Italian, trying to actively engage may help. Making local friends should not be a problem in Italy, I guess! From your blog, I can tell you are doing great! You might also find different thinking pattern between your Italian friends and yourself. They might lack of punctuality, or unease with strict discipline, for example. Born in a liner-active country, such characteristics may frustrate you. However, Mult-active countries are also good at generating dialogue and create positive social atomosphere! Possibly, when the last day in Florence comes, you will be wanting to stay a few weeks longer. Enjoy and hope you well!

    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Leah!

    I'm so glad to read that you're having the time of your life!! I am beyond envious!! The pictures are beautiful although I'm sure they don't do must justice compared to in person. I'm lowkey offended that apparently it's weird to want to pet every dog you see (if I were there everyone would think I am VERY strange haha). Other than how pets are viewed, how have the places you have visited, along with Florence's, cultures and leadership styles differed from here in the U.S?

    Enjoy the rest of you time in Florence!!
    Liz Reed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Leah,

    In class we have talked about different cultural contexts such as Western and Latin American. I see you have had the opportunity to visit many countries through Western and Central Europe and I'm sure you've had the opportunity to see many different culture. From my own experiences, I think there are many important and drastic cultural differences between Western and Central Europe even despite them both being a part of the western cultural contexts. For example, when I was in Prague the culture was entirely different than when I went to Belgium or Norway. How much variety have you seen between the cultures of the countries you've visited and do you think that they're varied enough to warrant being seperate cultural contexts?

    I hope you continue having a great time abroad and cant wait to hear more about it when you get back!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Leah!

    It seems as though you have had some amazing experiences and I cannot wait until you get home to tell me more about them! From your pictures it looks like you have interacted with a variety of people. While examining the Western cultural context in class it was explained that decisions in the context are usually made by using logic and rationality rather than religion or knowledge as seen in other cultures. Do you find this as accurate? Or do you believe that decisions are made another way? (such as following religion, deciding as a group, or solely by the leader)

    Miss you!
    Grace Gebhart

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Leah!

    I am so happy that you included so many amazing pictures from your trips! It is so good to see that you are having fun while exploring the local culture. I especially enjoyed your story about how you have been relying on google translate to converse with strangers- (who somehow turn into your friends very quickly). This is an interesting aspect of Intercultural communication which was not possible until modern technology came into the scene. Google translate adds another component to the Intercultural communication challenges model. Also, I am wondering whether google translate takes out the need for "non-verbals" when communicating. Without google translate I imagine that one would have to play charades in order to get their point across. However, now all one has to do is type what they want to say into their phones and it comes out in perfect Italian. How much do you rely on google translate while traveling? Have you noticed a decrease in your non-verbals when using google translate?

    I can't wait to see more pictures!
    Anna-Claire Myers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Leah!!

    I am so happy for you! The fact that you traveled abroad and are enjoying it so much makes me so happy. In class we learned about Intercultural Communication and that is defined as face-to-face interaction among people of diverse cultures. obviously you have had experience with this but at first how different was it for you to communicate with people from a completely different cultural background?

    I can't wait to see what else this experience brings you.
    Hannah Garofalo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,

    How is the culture like there? we have learned a lot about different cultures in class and since you have been there for a while how have you adapted to there culture?

    Hope all is going well!
    Hannah Garofalo

    ReplyDelete