Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Ciao Roma



Ten p.m. here in Florence and we have finally settled back into our apartment after a truly awe-inspiring weekend in Roma, Italia.

    As a student through the API Study Abroad Program, I have access to three weekend trips, free and pre-planned, throughout the semester. The first of these trips, to Rome, was certainly a success if I may say so (And I do say so).

    Rome, at a glance, is pretty much like Florence on steroids- larger, louder, older, and taller. It is another stunning city, casually throwing the Trevi Fountain and cheap souvenir stands side by side. The alleyways wind and weave together to create life-sized labyrinths, making hidden cafes and pizzerias a staple of the region. Our three day stay in Rome was jam packed with excellent tours, 24,000 steps per day, and more than a little geeking out the entire time.

    While there are many things I could tell (and bore) you endlessly about, I wanted to share two of my favorite experiences, that even my poor memory won't be letting go any time soon: touring the Vatican Museum/ St. Peter's Basilica and visiting the Colosseum.

    Now the Pope, if you haven't heard yet, is kiiinnndddaaa a big deal in the world of religion. So is the Catholic Faith (just read a Western history book if you don't believe me). They are such important institutes that they have their own nation within Italy, known as Vatican City. Apparently residents of Vatican City can even get their own passports, which I think is pretty dope. Anyways, Vatican City, while being home to some pretty fancy individuals, is also the home of some of Europe's most impressive and awe-inspiring pieces of art, by masters such as Michelangelo, Raphael, and Donatello. We were able to make our way slowly through most of the Vatican Museum, accidentally stumbling into the Sistine Chapel, and then finally landing in St. Peter's Basilica. I came out of both the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel with an aching neck and a dry mouth that hung open in awe 90% of the time (I was the very image of grace). Some hallways held hundreds of statues, others were embellished top to bottom with so many frescos it borderline ridiculous. The Sistine Chapel also, as you may have guessed, was stunning (and much smaller than I thought it would be..?).

    But truly THE work of art, the creme de la creme, the most beautiful man-made structure I have ever had the privilege of seeing in my 20 years of existence, came at the end of our exploring: St. Peter's Basilica. Honestly, words cannot do the Basilica justice, and that breaks my heart. I was  humbled by the beauty, mastery, passion, and care dedicated to the creation of this building. Every inch was a masterpiece, a honor to the saints, the Mother Mary, Christ, and God Himself. Needless to say, I will not be forgetting my experience here any time soon. Walking through its arches and carved hallways, I was thankful, and so incredibly excited, to be a member of the group of human beings bearing the responsibility of artist, who had brought to life such a stunning structure. Seeing this crowning glory of man-made beauty reminded me why the pursuit of the artistic craft is so vitally important for humanity. It is our attempt at replicating heaven on earth, in ways even Mother Nature could not do. Where she has the Alps and the Great Barrier Reef, we have St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel.

   Another humbling experience not soon to leave memory was the Colosseum. It's quite a famous structure, both for being the cultural epicenter of Ancient Rome as well as the home to famous competitions like the the fights of the Gladiators. It is quite an otherworldly experience, walking through such an ancient structure and trying to imagine what it must have looked like during its prime. In America, the oldest structure I know barely scratches 100 years old- that's toddler age compared to the West. I stood where  ancient Romans stood, trying vainly in my mind to recreate the large, dusty arena, the hundreds of thousands of cheering spectators, the noises and the smells. No matter how creative I might get, however, to try and reconnect fully with history and understand what the culture  must have been like is impossible and I resigned myself to never having that clarity. It was quite a humbling realization.

Below are some photos from this weekend, (terribly sorry they aren't better, my brother is the photographer, not me). It took me a literal week to upload just these few photos. I'm convinced that slow wifi will be my shadow forever. Oh joy.

I hope everyone is doing okay back home
-Leah 


















































5 comments:

  1. Leah,

    I have always wanted to visit there. My parents actually got to honeymoon there and I have gotten to see a few old pictures, so it is so cool looking at all of your pictures now. I hope you are enjoying your trip, we just took our midterm last week!! Anyway, on a more important topic, have you ate anything really good??

    ReplyDelete
  2. - Shawnte'

    sorry I always forget to sign these messages!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Miss Bonnie...You've rekindled my memories! Is the Colosseum still full of cats? So glad you are getting this experience. God's inspiration is amazing. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah,

    I absolutely love all of the photos you included on this blog post, as well as the previous ones! They are stunning. Rome is just one of many places on a list I have of places I hope to travel to in the future.

    I wanted to also ask you a few questions regarding part of your experience studying abroad:
    What are the most significant cultural differences that you have noticed while in Florence, Rome, Budapest, etc. ?
    What challenges have your experienced as a result of cultural differences?
    Have these challenges impacted your educational experiences? If so, how?
    How do all of the places you have traveled while studying abroad compare/contrast to how our society and educational programs function in the US?

    I hope I can take your responses into account when considering to travel and/or study abroad myself!

    - Kylee McBride

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Leah,

    I always love seeing the pictures that you post. They are absolutely incredible. I hope that you are doing good. I was just wondering what the rooming situation was like. Are you living in a dorm, and if so, how does that compare to Marietta? If not, where are you staying. Looking forward to seeing more pictures from your trip!

    Hope all is well,

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete