Saturday, May 25, 2019

Florence for Dummies



    My little brother just graduated from high school yesterday. And I think I have officially become the "you're growing up too fast" adult every time I think about how grown-up he has become. Yikes. I can feel the "well, back in my day" and "young people these days" adult lurking right around the corner.

   I get to see him and my family in a few days, which is really exciting because I haven't had someone to torment in far too long and I am terrified of loosing my edge, ya know? I need my little brother back so we can continue our usual bickering and bantering. Life gets quite boring without it.

   In preparation for his first time in Florence, he has been asking me about what he should and shouldn't pack for our adventuring together, which has got me thinking. What should Americans know before they leave America and visit Italy, or more specifically, before they come to Florence..?

So... here are a few insider tips and tricks on how to do Florence, Italy like a pro:

1) When asked if you're an American, either put on your best British accent or just claim you're from Canada. Trust me when I say it makes life a teensy bit easier.

2.) If you want the good, authentic gelato, stay away from the stores that sell it in giant piles for high
prices, like this:

Image result for gelatoImage result for gelato

What you really want is super cheap gelato that comes in tins that look like this: 

Image result for gelato

3.) This plays well into my next tidbit: when looking for good Italian snacks and pastries, generally, the cheaper they are, the better and more authentic  they will taste. 

4.) Wearing shorts, neon colors, or white sneakers and sandals will mark you as a tourist almost immediately. Italians rarely wear shorts. They prefer wearing black and darker colors, and white sneakers/ sandals are just very American looking for some odd reason. 

5.) No matter what you do, or how hard you try not to, you will probably look like a tourist, so please go ahead and take photos of everything. You're not gonna want to forget this experience. 

6.) Get super lost and not sure where to go?? Look up and try to find the Cathedral de Santa Maria del Fiore (also known as the Duomo), which looks like this: 
                                Related imageImage result for Florence Duomo
It is the tallest building in Florence and serves as an excellent reference point to help you find your way back to where you need to be. 

7.) Speaking of the Duomo, the closer you get to it, the more expensive everything will get, because it is the most 'touristy' spot in Florence. Try wandering away from it if you feel a little adventurous. Chances are you'll find places that are just as good, and a little less expensive. 

8.) When you go to restaurants, expect to get the entire meal put on one check. It is not customary for Italians to have restaurants split up their checks. Your server will most likely just lump it all together and leave it to you to decide who pays for the entire meal. So be prepared with cash, Splitwise, or Venmo to pay each other back for your meals. 

9.) Want to avoid the long lines for museums? Try to get to museums and galleries earlier than they open, or visit them on Tuesdays and Thursdays- the lines generally aren't as long then for some reason. (Also April- August is peak tourist season). 

10.) Buongiorno/ Ciao is 'hello'
        Ciao/ Arrivederci is 'goodbye' 
         Grazie is 'thank you' 
           Permesso is 'excuse me' 
            Dove is 'where is' 

Hope this proves helpful should you ever find yourself in Florence, or in Italy!! 
--Leah 

No comments:

Post a Comment